Saturday 24 September 2011

How is it possible that a telephone solicitor can remotely turn on your cell phone so they can keep calling?

This is not a joke. I have been receiving numerous calls from an 866 number that has no real person on the other end. All the machine does is keep asking for my Social Security number. There is no way to get to a real person. I get several calls per day, including at night while I am asleep. I turn off my phone, and they send some sort of signal to my phone that turns it on. Then it beeps at me all night, keeping me awake.



I have complained to my cell phone company and they say they will get back to me.



There is nothing wrong with my cell phone. When I turn it off and call it from my home phone, the cell doesn't turn on. My call goes directly to voice mail.



I get service from Verizon (the only provider in my rural area) so I can't change providers. I can't change my phone number because it is also my business number. My phone is a Motorola, with no special features -- no text, no camera, just the basic cheapest model. The phone number they call from comes up as 866-740-4298. I finally called that # from my home phone and found out it is an off-shore company based in Manila. I gave the lady with the thick accent my cell # and told her in no uncertain terms to stop calling. The calls continued at an accelerated rate.



So how are they doing this to me? How do I stop it? And who do I report this to? I am sure this must be illegal.
How is it possible that a telephone solicitor can remotely turn on your cell phone so they can keep calling?
I found this which may answer your question. Go into your my verizon account online and go to



My Verizon%26gt;My Services%26gt;My Cell Phone%26gt;Verizon Safeguards%26gt;Spam Controls



You can then block the number from there. That will take care of your Verizon cell phone. On your house phone, your local phone company should be able to block it. If they cannot, you can buy a call screening device that will do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment