Friday 16 September 2011

What to do about the privacy act and an old name change?

In 1987, I lived in California and changed my name through common usage. It was legal and all my records, transcripts, and the like reflect my new/current name. My social security number reflects the change and has since then.



However, since 911 and the privacy act, I have been having difficulties with opening bank accounts and verifying that I am me. Right now things are settled but I am moving Oklahoma very soon. Their list of required documents to even exchange my driver's license leaves me in a quandary because my birth certificate shows my former name and my driver's license shows my current name.



How do I resolve this? What do I need to do to be a %26quot;real%26quot; person without undoing 21 years of my history?
What to do about the privacy act and an old name change?
While you can use any name you wish so long as it is not for fraudulent purposes, you cannot LEGALLY change your name through %26quot;common usage.%26quot; That takes a court order. You may want to get one.

http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/oth鈥?/a>
What to do about the privacy act and an old name change?
You will need legal documentation of your name change. In my area, the county courthouse takes care of these things.

(Married women who changed to their husbands name have to show their marriage certificate)

No comments:

Post a Comment