Friday 16 September 2011

What does it entail to have my 3 yr old son's name changed?

I really need to change my son's last name. He was not given his biological father's name, because of circumstance. So, my ex wanted him to have his last name. He abandoned us 2 yrs ago, and haven't heard from him since. Now, my son is 3, and I want him to have my last name, as he doesn't remember my ex...and his real father is in prison, and JUST found out he's the father. He (my son's biological father), is ok with me giving our son my last name, but I just want to know what it entails, how much it will cost...anyone have ANY idea? Will legal aid help me out even though I'm not a single mom anymore? I spoke to a lawyer shortly after my ex abandoned us, and he said legally, we had to wait a full year before we could do ANYTHING (ie, take his name off birth cert, name change and social security number) I'm desperate for answers. Can anyone help?
What does it entail to have my 3 yr old son's name changed?
Change of name is usually filed in court which is a special proceeding for that purpose. It will entail a lot of costs because the case will require publication in the newspapers and you will pay for a lawyer to handle your case in court.
What does it entail to have my 3 yr old son's name changed?
Depending on the state, it could cost $200.00 or more.
In some states, the biological (or registered) father needs to be notified of your desire to change the child's name. In other places, it just takes an application through the government registrar of birth, death and marriage, along with some evidence that this is not being done for fraudulent or deceptive purposes. In jurisdictions where the father's consent is required but is not forthcoming, a court order may be needed.
  • loreal hair
  • email
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment