Saturday 24 September 2011

Social security numbers and children?

I sent my niece a check it had a SSN number on the back and the first digits were 57 ...... What area is 57 ssn and can a adult cash checks for their minor children .How do I find out who the SSN number belongs to . I am curious . Maybe her mom changed her ssn after she divorced my brother .
Social security numbers and children?
575-576 SS # are issued for people who were born (and filed for a SS#) in Hawaii.



As outlined here:

http://www.usrecordsearch.com/ssn.htm





and a parent or legal guardian can cash a check in a minor's name as long as they present identification at a bank to do so



No, the parent wouldn't change a child's SS# just because of a divorce.
Social security numbers and children?
I believe SSN issued out of California.

Why was there a Social Security number on the back of it? Was it a personal check?
Yes, adults can cash checks in their minor's name. You cannot change someone's SSN, unless they enter witness protection, and there is no public database you can search to find out whose SSN it is until that person dies. As for the first digits, the area is determined by the first 3 digits, not the first 2, so it's impossible to say. See the site below.
Are you sure it was a SS# ? Could be an account number. I always put my account number on the back of my checks when I sign them.

No comments:

Post a Comment