Friday 16 September 2011

HR people - how do prospective employers check college degrees?

Do you call the university? With whom do you speak and what do you ask? Do you just call the office of admissions and ask them to look up a name? Do you go by date of graduation or date of birth? Do you use a social security number? My name has changed since college, so the college may not find me if a prospective employer uses my name only. I don't put my date of birth, former name or my social on my resume. Thanks!
HR people - how do prospective employers check college degrees?
Corporations don't use your resume to check your education. They usually do the education check after they've received your full application form, which either is, or has a separate page for background check permissions. On that form, they ask for your social and other info.



When I do a education check, I have that form in hand, which you signed, basically giving me permission to do the check. I call the registrar at your former schools, and give them your name, your maiden name, your social. I confirm that you went there, that you obtained a degree, that it was the degree you claimed it was, the dates you attended, the date you got the degree, and your GPA and major.



I don't need an outside firm to tell me if your college was genuine. I know that myself, and if it's a school I've not heard of, I look it up via certain sources to confirm that it's a genuine school, if it's accredited appropriately, and if it's reputable.
HR people - how do prospective employers check college degrees?
Employers usually do a background check and you will HAVE to provide the other name. When you apply, they also usually ask you if you have any other names.
An employer will ask you to fill out a release form for you to sign that will allow them to check your background. On that form you will supply your SS#, maiden name, etc. for them to use.



They usually have a company they go through actually search your background. They will do calling, data base searches to confirm your college.
Many use the National Student Clearing house to verify your enrollment / degree.



http://www.studentclearinghouse.org/



This is usually at the interview / offer stage, and you shouldn't put that personal information on each resume.



Requesting transcripts is outdated, as many unaccredited / bogus colleges will gladly send a transcript, so you have to go 1 step further and verify that it's a legitimate college prior to requesting any verification info.
They usually request a copy of your transcripts with contains all your course work and date you earned your degree(s). You can get an %26quot;unoffical%26quot; copy of your transcript or have an %26quot;offical%26quot; copy sent directly to the prospective employer.

No comments:

Post a Comment