Wednesday 21 September 2011

How can I move to Germany in a hurry?

If I hate my life and need a drastic change to be happy, such as moving to my favorite country (Germany), how do I do that? I'm not %26quot;wealthy%26quot; but I do have enough to live comfortably. I am learning the German language and have always loved Germany. How do I just pack up and move there? Even if it is only for a few years?



1.) How do I go about finding an apartment? What is needed to get an apartment: do they need references, bank statements,

2.) After finding an apartment, how do I set up my home? Electricty, telephone, internet, furniture, Cable, etc...

3.) Ideas for what I can do while I am living there. I don't %26quot;HAVE TO%26quot; work, but wouldn't mind working as a volunteer, or as an Intern, maybe something in the arts, or even a cafe.

4.) How do I open up a local bank account without having a German Social Security number? Or is it best to just keep my American bank account and use my debit card to withdraw money to live on?

Thank you everyone in advance!
How can I move to Germany in a hurry?
1. An apartment can be found via Internet

(for example : http://www.immonet.de/) or local newspapers.

If you are well-off, you might consider using a real estate agent.

2. Electricity should already be done, unless you plan to build a

completely new house.telephone, Internet - go to the next T-Punkt ( a Telekom shop).Cable - look for an apartment that already has that (in german %26quot;Kabelanschluss).Furniture - go to the next IKEA store (http://www.ikea.com/ms/de_DE/)

3. I think Stacy got sth. wrong here, i don't know of internships that require you to go to school, maybe she meant an apprenticeship?Internships can be found on the internet too

(http://www.praktikums-boerse.de/ ; for example)

4. I don't know what the regulations for foreigners are, but when i opened my account, all they wanted was my ID-card.

They probably checked my SCHUFA entry (a database that keeps track of peoples debts)and in your case perhaps the database that does the same job in your country, but apart from that, i wouldn't expect much hassle.



Have you considered that, depending on where you come from, residence and work permit might be an issue?



Finally, heres a link to a forum that might help you further :

http://www.toytowngermany.com/
How can I move to Germany in a hurry?
its gonna be hard... u need at least 60 days to wait to get a work visa... or work illegally at an irish pub

u should apply immediately for a visa when u get there
where in germany?
Interesting question. I can give you a little info, but I cannot answer everything--because our situations are different. I married a german man, and moved to Germany. Because you won't be married to a german citizen things could be a little more difficult.



I will start with question number 4. How to start a bank account. Before I was married, I was still able to open a bank account in the Sparkasse. They just used my US passport number. Using an american account from germany would get very expensive, and plus almost all banking here is done online. It would be worth it to get a german account.



#3, I'm not sure how 'well to do' you are, but you do realize that the euro is worth more than the dollar, and you will have to pay more for everything. I think it will be harder to stay here if you don't have any kind of occupation. As an intern.. it would be REALLY hard to get an internship, you have to visit school 2 times a week during an internship, the company has to see some sort of future in you.. or else they won't pay for the schooling.. plus you have to speak almost perfect german to do that. Working in a cafe .. might be a better choice, or stocking shelves or something ;)



#2, Apartments. Most apartments don't come furnished with a kitchen. You would have to search extra for one with one included, or buy your own. You would also have to buy all of your own light fixtures .. and of course furniture and everything. When you get an apartment you can search for kalt- or warmmiete, when it is warm then the price includes electricity, sometimes the internet.. but I would say that is rare. You can call T-Com, they would hook you all up with the phone and internet, or you can get a 'handy', lots of young people use only a cellphone, and don't have a house phone. You can buy furniture somewhere like IKEA, which has cool cheap furniture and stuff for decorating. And as far as cable goes.. the normal german tv is good enough I think, that an extra monthly bill for expensive cable (Premiere is one company) isn't worth it.



1.. I have never rented an apartment here, so I can't really tell you what all they need to see to rent to you. A lot of the time, you have to pay a deposit of 1 or 2 months rent.



Besides for that.. I don't know what else to say, I hope that helps a little bit. Oh by the way, I love the decision that I made, I love living here and wouldn't ever move back to the US. Good luck.
Hi,

to question 1: look at www.immobilienscout24.de for a apartment. But it the city is important. Take a big city that you like but the apartments in the big city's are mostly expensive. But Germany is not so big. Take a apartment in a little city nearby a big one. Cheap apartments and not so far away. For example Wuppertal or Solingen are small city's not far away from Cologne,Dusseldorf... who city life is.

You need a German bank account. Take a Internet using account from sparkasse or deutsche bank. They cost nothing.

Fore your home: electricity, water, and so on you can get it from the lokal city. Cheap furniture you can get from IKEA. Internet and phone from Deutsche Telekom.

If you want work as a volunteer you can do many things. For example ask at the lokal YMCA( in german cvjm)or some outher groups.

If you want to know something special. Ask me. Feel free, its my home country. :-)
About the apartments you can look on the Net, you don't need any references for that, but job and money.

After you get the apartment, you need to call electric company, also phone and this work with Internet, and the cable company. Some places has already satellite. Renting apartment some places taking for 2 or 3 months deposit. You can also volunteering here in some places like hospitals, some government offices. You don't need any Soc.Sec.# for open a bank account, so long you having address and money that's all.

The problem is you need to get visa before coming to Germany. Better is you are contacting the local German embassy and ask your questions and they can tell you what to do.
Ok

You will need to find a place to live, this site can help you.



http://www.immobilienscout24.de/



if you notice the top bar is has auto-scout (cars) and job-scout for jobs, it is a good site. Learning German will help, kauf means buy meite means rent.

Here's the hard part, you will need a residence, everything revolves around this, you can open up a bank account with your passport if your have a address in German.

You need health insurance, I have my health insurance through



http://www.central.de/internet/central/c鈥?/a>



Once you physically have this you can apply for residency at the city hall, they will proof your documents and normally will allow you to stay for up to 180 days. Within that 180 you will have to prove your employment status, or your ability to provide for yourself without using the German Social system.



If you wish to work, in that 180 day period you must find an employer willing to hire you. To do this you must go to the Arbietsampt (employment office) explain to them your situation and they will give you a packet. Your would be employer must fill out this packet and return it to the employment office to hire you. Once this happens you will get a work-permit, depending on your employment status this will be the German social security number you are referring to. With this number you will be paying tax, retirement and again depending on your employment even your social health insurance.

For me the process was pretty furstrating and I was often in a catch 22. Can not get and apartment without an address, etc.

I would check with the german counsulate and try to see if this can be done before you move.



http://www.germany-tourism.de/



http://www.germany.info/relaunch/index.h鈥?/a>



I did this in 1990

I am living in Franconia.

Good Luck
Ok, I will try to answer.

1.) Finding an apartment: look in the newspaper of your chosen town. You should find easily an apartment (better Berlin than Munich! Munich has horrible prices, reasonable apartments are allmost not to find). They do NOT demand anything at all when you rent an apartment. I had been asked how I earn my money but I needed no written or printed evidence. It is allowed to demand up to three monthly rates to make sure everything is cleaned and fixed again after leaving the apartment. Just be carefull to the apartment and you will get your money back. Berlin would really be a good choice, it is three times cheaper than munich.

2.Set up your home: the landlord will tell you. For most things like telephone and internet you will need the telekom. Furniture: go like anyone else to ikea :-P

3. What you could do: engage for a social year, there is the possibility to spend it at a theatre. Learn german. Do an art course.

4. Open an bank account.

You need where you are a social security number? interesting. You will not need it here. I only needed my passport I tried to remember but I do not think that anyone except my employer ever asked of me my social security number..



Never the less, some things you should think about: what about your health insurance? Most people who offer interns are asking for those. And really think about the visa, I do not know where you are from but it could be a problem. Even if you do not want to work here.
My advise would be go to Germany on a Trip first to see how it really is, it is really expensive and a lot different then the united states.well i wish you good luck.
Well, the very first step would be take a very good look at the immigrational laws in Germany!



What citizenship do you hold? Do you already have a residency permit for Germany? Would you need a visa? Where would you need to apply for a visa? Have you been to Germany before? What is your education? Your profession? Your monthly income?



These things should be cleared before you pack your things!



If you answer my questions I can give you some advice on German immigration law. Write to me at yahoo.com.
Join the Air Force. I did and I get paid to live here.
I lived in Heidelberg for 6 years and Wiesbaden for 3, but I was in the Army. Not so difficult that way. You could apply to be a nanny to British or Americans, or try to get some job with the Dept. of Defense, (teacher, nurse, college professor, etc.) It is very expensive to live in Germany. When you rent a 3 room apartment, That's what you get, 3 rooms. You install sinks, light fixtures, everything but the toilet.



When I left in 1998, the german govt. was trying to pass a law that all non Germans could keep their jobs if they had had them for a number of years but all jobs after that were to filled by German citizenz. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment