Friday 16 September 2011

I'm getting married in 20 days. What happens next?

I'm getting married in Illinois. What paperwork do I need to fill out and submit after I get married. I know I have to get a new Social Security number and change my name on all my documents. How do I go about that and what else do I need to do. There's a HUGE time crunch after the wedding and honeymoon so I need to be prepared.
I'm getting married in 20 days. What happens next?
You will need to get a new social security card with your new name, not a new number, you will need to change your license, Marriage License obviously, and any address changes and name changes for insurance and stuff like that. Notify your employer so you don't have any paycheck issues... good luck and congrats! One more word of advice, DON'T PROCRASTINATE! Get it all done ASAP, it will be better in the long run
I'm getting married in 20 days. What happens next?
A marriage certificate will be issued to you at your wedding. You do not need a new Social Security number, but you will need to contact SS to do a name change. You can do your other name changes as each need arises. Relax. It's not too difficult.
Ok, the state is really slow in getting the copy back to you, so when you get it you need to head to the Social Security office to get your name changed on your card. You can't change your Driver's License until you have the Social Security card, which will take approximately 2-6 weeks. I had mine in about 3. The marriage license will come in the mail about 2 weeks after you get married or so, depending on how fast the officiant is about sending it out. Mine came at 10 days. You will need to change your name within 30 days of getting married (or so the County Clerk told me).
First thing you need is the official copy of your marriage license. You pick that up at the court house. Next, you go to Social Security Change your name there. Before you get your new card in the mail, you can take your Marriage License to the Bank and Leasing office (if your rent) and change your name there. Call HR dept at work and let them know you got married. They may request a faxed copy of your marriage license and new SS Card. Also ask them if they will change your name on your Benefits or do you. Once you get your new SS card, take it, your marriage license and your Drivers License to the DMV to get a new Drivers License. Now you have have to play phone tag with every credit card and utilities (cable, gas, electric, ect.) To inform them that you have got married and need to change your name on the bill. You don't have to do this right away. I didn't change mine at the utilities until 3 months after the wedding.



But basically, it is easier to keep your maiden name, but worth the headache of changing it.
  • AJAX in .net
  • Fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment