Saturday, 4 June 2011

When you get married are you supposed to change your social security number?

I%26#039;ve been married for 7 months now. I was told by the HR person at my job that I needed to change my name with Social Security in order to change my name at work (so that my checks display my married name). Is this true? How does this procedure work?|||You don%26#039;t change your SS number, just the name that%26#039;s attached to it. I bet you can do it online.

When you get married you can start using your husband%26#039;s name or a hyphenated name if you want. It%26#039;s really the only time that you can change your name without going to a lot of trouble with the court and everything.

If you keep your own last name, you don%26#039;t have to do anything.|||If you want to take your husband%26#039;s last name, yes, you need to inform Social Security. I got married about a year and a half ago. You have to go to the local social security office or you can do it through the mail. You need to show them your official legal marriage certificate and your old social security card and one other form of id like your driver%26#039;s license. The number does not change but they will mail you a new card with your new last name on it. You can use that new social security card to change your driver%26#039;s license, your passport, and any other legal document to your new married name.

If you didn%26#039;t change your last name, then you don%26#039;t need to do anything.|||You only get one social security number in a lifetime. You can get a form from the SS office and use your driving license and your marriage license to show you have gotten married. It is best to go in person to the social security office because they need originals not copies of this paperwork. Then your payroll office can make the official name change and start paying you using your new last name. You really never have to change your name unless you desire to do so.|||No.

IF you choose to take your new husbands name, you must change your name first with SS and then with every other agency you deal with. If you choose to keep your maiden name you don%26#039;t have to do anything.

You can go by any name you want, but you can legally only have one name. If you want your employer to issue cheques in your married name you have to change it to your married name for everything. Your employer can%26#039;t report your earnings under a different name than the one the government has for you.|||If you want to change your name you get a new card not a new number. If you don%26#039;t want to change your name you don%26#039;t. So yes if you want to change your name you have to take your marriage certificate down to the social security office and get a new card with your new name on it. The card will have a different name only, it will still be your same number.|||all ya do is apply for a new SS card with your new married name on it, but your SS # stays the same.You will receive a copy of your New SS # with your married name, within a couple of weeks you%26#039;ll receive your new SS card stating your married name.It%26#039;s true you do need to do this.|||Not your number, just the name on the card. You send in a simple form and copies of your id and marriage license. It is true and needs to be done before tax time, so you need to get to it.|||Oh yea you have to get a new SS card with your married name on it this is the same for your license and credit cards and all that stuff too. I%26#039;m not sure how to go about doing it because usually you do that when you get your marriage certificate.|||If choose to change your name for marriage you need to complete a form you can get online and take your marriage license and ID to the social security office.|||No,the one you have is yours for life.Social security needs to know that you got married so they can change there records to match your new last name.|||you go to the social security office in your town and they change your name on your card. Your number does NOT change.They send you the new one in the mail.|||HR is correct, why can%26#039;t you take their advise. Call Social Security Administration in Your area and ask what you need to do.|||YOur HR person is right. If you changed your name when you got married, you%26#039;ll need to file an application to change it in your info with SS.|||Yes, you must apply with Social Security to change your name on your social security card. You can do it on line.|||No you do not change the number you change the name on the card.|||You don%26#039;t change your social security number. Only the name on your account.|||You%26#039;ve got to be kidding me. Why not just call Social Security and ask them. I have never heard of anything so ridiculous.|||LOL I%26#039;ve been married for 18 years and never even thought about it.|||?????????????????????????????????|||you must change your NAME on the card...not the number|||NO%26gt;%26gt;%26gt;you don%26#039;t need to change your S S #. Just your name on the card.|||Nope. You don%26#039;t even have to change your last name unless you want to.|||Not the number just your name!

No comments:

Post a Comment