Saturday 4 June 2011

My bank messed up on my Social Security Number, how would this affect me?

My bank is not a big bank like bank of america, its only local. My problem is, is that when I gave them 2 pieces of identification, I gave them my military ID and my state id. When they were getting down my Social Security number from my military ID, they took my dad%26#039;s instead of mine and so now the account is under my name but also under my dad%26#039;s social security number. We also have the same name which is confusing to lots of people. I got a debit card from them but I%26#039;m afraid if I activate it, I%26#039;ll be charged for identity theft. Its been 2 months since I noticed this problem but I%26#039;m so busy that I never have time to change the problem. How would this affect me in any way?|||Write them a very simple letter right to the point explaining the situation.


Take a copy of it and send it to them via registered post.


If you feel a bit mean for their mistake, take 15 copies and mail one each day to them, for two weeks on the row. I am sure that will drive the point home.





In the meantime get your dad to activate the card and just use it.





My girlfriend acts like she OWNS my credit card and there%26#039;s no sign of ID theft on the horizon.





I mean, this is your dad. It takes him to report and push an id theft before someone starts to take it seriously and even then it might take them 6 months or more before anything is done, if ever.|||Well, you better get time and fix the problem. The time you spent typing this in and waiting for responses you could have been on the phone with them figuring out what to do.|||I agree with Thunder. This is an easy fix unless there is more to your story. I can tell that you are young and not truly concerned. It will affect you and mosts importantely your dad if you don%26#039;t balance your check book properly....|||%26quot;I never have time to change the problem.%26quot; Baloney. Get it correct ASAP.|||Three options:





1. Close the account and reopen another one with the proper information.


2. Get this account fixed with only your information.


3. Make it a joint account with your dad and have both names and both social security numbers.





If you don%26#039;t get it fixed the transactions on the account will be reported to the IRS under your dad%26#039;s ssn, and if a large amount of interest is paid, he will owe taxes on the interest. If you overdraft the account or run into problems with it, it will show up as a negative entry on his credit report. If you lose your ID and need to get into the funds on the account based on your social security number you will not be able to do so - because the bank records say it is your father%26#039;s account.

No comments:

Post a Comment