Saturday, 4 June 2011

Social Security Number with an expired visa?

I came to america from australia on a j-1 visa as a nanny- i got a social security number during that time. when my visa had finished i returned to australia and then came back on the VWP 5 months later and married my boyfriend. my vwp visa has been expired since feb 2008. i have been married since dec 2008. how do i change my name on my social security card when my visa is not valid?|||SSN is used for you to work legally in US, if you are out of status in US, you can not work using SSN, so you can not change your name on SSN.

What you can do is to file USCIS form I-130 to get your Green Card and work permit, then you can change the name o SSN

To lawfully work in the United States, individuals must have a valid Social Security number (SSN) and, if they are not citizens, authorization to work from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). Noncitizens seeking work must provide both an SSN and evidence of work authorization to their employer. (鈥?/a>|||Hopefully you cannot change it until you become a legal resident. Have you taken any action to do so? The immigration web site may provide you with necessary info.

No comments:

Post a Comment