Saturday, 4 June 2011

Can I have my social security number changed due to identity theft?

I have found out that my social security card number is being used by an EX relation. Credit cards are repeatedly issued in my name, and I have closed countless accounts over the years, but new cards keep getting issued in this person%26#039;s name with my social security number.

If I have documented proof of identity theft, would the Social Security Administration accept this as a valid reason to have my social security number changed? My credit is ruined because of this person.

If there is no way to get a new social security number, how can I ever restore my credit?|||yes.

If you have done all you can to fix the problems resulting from misuse of your Social Security number and someone still is using your number, we may assign you a new number.

You cannot get a new Social Security number:

To avoid the consequences of filing for bankruptcy;

If you intend to avoid the law or your legal responsibility; or

If your Social Security card is lost or stolen, but there is no evidence that someone is using your number.

If you decide to apply for a new number, you will need to prove your age, U.S. citizenship or lawful immigration status and identity. For more information, ask for Your Social Security Number And Card (Publication Number 05-10002).

You also will need to provide evidence that you still are being disadvantaged by the misuse.

Keep in mind that a new number probably will not solve all your problems. This is because other governmental agencies (such as the Internal Revenue Service and state motor vehicle agencies) and private businesses (such as banks and credit reporting companies) likely will have records under your old number. Also, because credit reporting companies use the number, along with other personal information, to identify your credit record, using a new number will not guarantee you a fresh start. This is especially true if your other personal information, such as your name and address, remains the same.

If you receive a new Social Security number, you will not be able use the old number anymore.

For some victims of identity theft, a new number actually creates new problems. If the old credit information is not associated with the new number, the absence of any credit history under the new number may make it more difficult for you to get credit.|||Go to your Social Security office with your evidence.|||Yea you can just go apply for a social security just call the IRS and ask them what you should do. My aunt went through the same thing. They will actually flag your account for Identity Theft. Hope this can help you with your situation|||First of all call up the credit bearu and put a fraud alert on your account. With this any time someone opens up a account in your name the credit bearu will have to get permission through you, otherwise the account cant be open.

I think that SSA should be able to change your number, I dont see why not.

With respect to restoring your credit, it can be time consuming, but you will have to work with the credit rating agency. Pull up your credit report (by federal law you can get one free at anything that is not your, dispute it with the agency.

you might also want to consider filling charges against the person and possibly suing them.

Good luck with everything!|||It%26#039;s tempting, but you wouldn%26#039;t want to do that. Think how backwards the SS system is, now think that they will handle things cleanly so that when you are ready to retire you will be able to collect your benefits.

If you are getting exhausted trying to deal with this situation now, think how wiped out you will be at 75 when you are trying to convince the SS dept. that you are one and the same as that %26quot;number%26quot; that paid into the administration out of his or her paychecks for so many years.

Solution: call the 3 major credit unions and put a flag on your number. This way, any time someone wants to open an account using your credit, there is a flag that says NO. You are entitled to a free copy of your credit report. Check it out and see what accounts are open, then call each creditor and cancel the account.

You might have to check your credit report every year to make sure the flags are still in place and that nothing has slipped through, but it%26#039;s worth it!

Good luck.|||have your evidence ready %26amp; have it notarized by a lawyer specifying your letter to request another SSN due to identity theft just be sure you have proof that you tried to patch things out to make it valid.. They%26#039;d would help you|||Get the person arrested, charged and jailed that stole your number.

As well as getting the fraud alert on your credit report.

If you can prove that these cards and all were taken out by someone other than you, the agencies have to take them off your record which will improve your credit report back to the way it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment