Wednesday 21 September 2011

When you get married do you HAVE to change your name?

I just recently got married and I have to fill out my FAFSA for the fall semester of school, every time I do I put married but it says that my social security number says Im not married so I don't want to change my name how do I make it to where my SS # says that Im married with out changing my name, do I go to the Social Security office and what do I show them?
When you get married do you HAVE to change your name?
You need to put whatever is on your SS Card for the application. Or change your name with SS first. You need to show them your marriage certificate.
When you get married do you HAVE to change your name?
You don't have to change your name. I have been married for 10 years and never changed my name. Go to the Social Secuirty office and bring your marriage license and photo ID and let them know you are married but you don't want to change your name.
You don't have to change your name when you get married; it's a tradition, but it's not required. You can continue using your own name.



However, if you do want to legally change your name to your husband's, you have to do the proper paperwork, starting with the social security office, followed by the DMV and so on. If you haven't done the paperwork, your legal name is still your old name, which is what you should be using.
Go to SS and let them know that your married with the Original Marriage Certificate and tell them that you dont want to change your last name but you want the information to come up as you are married but you still have your maiden name. Or if you can then just call them but its probably better go on inside instead. I just got married in March and I had to go thru this but I changed my last name.

I hope this helped.
I applied for a new card when I got married though it was to change my name- I imagine you can apply for some kind of documentation at your for your SSN's records, stating you are married. Either way , you keep the same number
I just don't understand why people don't want to change their names once they get married.



No you don't have to but if you respect your husband I think you should.

No comments:

Post a Comment